The three men injured in a propane explosion Monday afternoon remain in critical condition, according to a Bridgeport Hospital spokesman this morning.
A propane leak caused an explosion in the basement of 67 Wopowog Trail that sent three to the hospital with serious burn injuries. One of those injured is Mayor Mark Lauretti’s brother.
Police confirmed Monday evening Luke Lauretti, 48, who is friends with the homeowner, was injured in the explosion. Gary Henry, 24, of Waterbury and Randy Fera, 59, of Stratford are employees with Pioneer Gas in Shelton and were also injured. The homeowner and her daughter were outside the home when the basement exploded. All three men ran out of the home, before firefighters arrived.
On Monday, Henry was in critical condition with life-threatening injuries, according to Det. Sgt. Kevin Ahern. Lauretti and Fera were being admitted to the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Unit Monday with serious injuries but were described as “alert and conscious.”
“Propane tanks were delivered today,” Ahern said. Lauretti reportedly was with the two workers into the basement.
There were flames in the basement when firefighters were called around 1:50 p.m. but the scene was under control by about 2:30.
Emergency vehicles flooded the neighborhood surrounding the home.
The home is uninhabitable following the explosion.
“The main support beam in the basement is shattered,” Ahern said.
The incident is currently being investigated by the State and Shelton Fire Marshal’s Office, with assistance of the Shelton Police.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office arrived at the Wopowog Trail home just before 5 on Monday. Fifteen minutes later “unsafe” signs were put up around the house.
We will update this story as more information is available.