The former assistant finance director accused of stealing almost a million dollars from the city of Shelton is due in court again on Monday, Oct. 7.
Sharon Scanlon, who worked for the city for 17 years, had been scheduled for a pre-trial hearing on Wednesday, Oct. 2 in state Superior Court in Milford, but that date then was pushed back.
The closeness of the rescheduled court date has led to speculation that some kind of resolution in the case might be near.
Scanlon has pleaded not guilty to first-degree larceny and 56 counts of first-degree forgery, all felonies. She is accused of stealing $914,000 in city money over a decade.
Has been preparing for trial
During a court appearance in March, her Attorney William Dow III said Scanlon was preparing to go to a jury trial. There has been no significant court activity since that appearance despite some scheduled pre-trial hearing dates.
Scanlon, a 49-year-old Shelton resident, resigned her city position in August 2012 after the city alleged she had stolen funds. She turned herself in to State Police on Jan. 23 of this year. Her bond was $100,000.
State Police have said that Scanlon “drafted fraudulent checks from the Shelton City Hall and deposited those fraudulent checks into her personal checking account via ATM at selected locations, over a 10-year period.” Investigators allege that money was stolen until July 2012.
City is seeking restitution
The city is seeking restitution by filing a lawsuit against Scanlon — who served in her city position for 17 years — and placing a lien against her Crescent Drive home. “We’re in line,” Mayor Mark Lauretti said of other creditors.
Lauretti said the civil lawsuit and lien action are somewhat in limbo until the criminal case against Scanlon is resolved.
Scanlon, working through an attorney, has voluntarily forfeited contributions she made to the city pension system, according to Lauretti.